Wednesday, May 27, 2015

art at the beach

Currently stationed in Nags Head, NC, on the beautiful Outer Banks islands.  Enjoying some time relaxing in the sun, the pool, wading in the shallow waters of the sound near the condo we're renting, visiting the wild waves of the ocean side, hiking the sand dunes, kayaking, bicycling, and just laying around.  During our down times, I'm thankful to have brought along my huge heavy bag of art supplies, which I now have set up on the dining room table for whenever the creative muse inspires me.


My first painting is an exercise from this new book I just bought, entitled 
The Painting Workbook by Alena Hennessy.  





This first exercise is about color pairs.  Limiting your palette to just two colors (along with tints and shades, using white and black), it's a fun way to study colors and the way they interact with one another.  I tried keeping my subject simple, the shape of a seagull I'd seen earlier that morning on the pier:


                  Here he is, in two of my favorite color combinations, turquoise and lemon yellow:


Then I started working in more white and black paint, just playing, just having fun.
Adding the title, "the brave and the free", just because that's what he resembled to me.
2 words that describe what I want to be.


and then i just played around with some fishy stencils i'd brought along, hoping to build on this later.


more later!





No comments:

Post a Comment